Teachers always look for better ways to gauge students’ knowledge and understanding. When it comes to math test prep, one of the most effective tools is the exit ticket. Exit tickets provide valuable information that can help us tailor our instruction and build stronger math concept retention. Math test prep doesn’t have to be a dread-inducing slog– instead, unleash the power of exit tickets for an engaging and effective way to plan for test prep practice!
Table of Contents
How Can Exit Tickets Be Used for Math Test Prep?
Exit tickets are especially useful in math test prep because they allow teachers to identify areas where students need extra help or reinforcement. For example, give an exit ticket on equivalent fractions after teaching a lesson will give you a good idea of whether or not your students have grasped the material before moving on to another concept. Exit tickets are an excellent tool for assessing student comprehension in the lead-up to a significant assessment. Identifying topics that need extra review allows you and your students time to build mastery before taking their final exam!
Sorting Math Exit Ticket Results
Ready to make the most of your formative assessment data? An effective approach is breaking it down into smaller chunks and examining students’ performance trends. This can help you identify areas where extra learning support may be needed or skills that have already been mastered – allowing you to provide tailored instruction for each student’s needs.
Create these categories:
- Surpasses the standard or skill: they give the correct answer and then some. They may also add inferences or further explanations.
- Achieves the standard or skill: Their answer matches your expected correct answer.
- Almost achieves the standard or skill: They get part of the correct answer or use the wrong math model.
- Below the standard or skill: They don’t answer the question or seem to understand what it is asking.
You can quickly sort exit tickets into these four categories. Only students whose results fall into categories 3 or 4 need intervention. Everyone else is good to go!
Planning Test Prep Using Exit Ticket Results
Thanks to this data, you can expertly craft custom instruction plans for every student’s learning needs. You can determine who needs intensive remediation with a math concept, additional practice, and/or who is ready to move on.
Using exit tickets regularly throughout your math test prep lessons, you’ll gain valuable insights into your student’s strengths and weaknesses in math so that you can tailor your instruction accordingly. Plus, since exit tickets only take a few minutes for students to complete, they won’t take away valuable instructional time!
If you want to accelerate your ability to quickly assess your student’s math mastery during test prep and throughout the school year – you need this 3rd Grade Year Long Exit Ticket resource!
Need More Help with Test Prep? Check out these posts:
- 3 Ways to Make Test Prep Fun!
- Goal Setting & Test Prep: Helping Students Confidentially Take on the Test!
The most valuable resource that all teachers have is each other. Without collaboration our growth is limited to our own perspectives.Robert John Meehan
Interested in signing up for my email?
• Get valuable resources and teaching tips delivered straight to your inbox
• Exclusive deals and discounts only available to email list subscribers
• Be the first to know about new products and launches
• Share your ideas and feedback with me directly, I love hearing from my readers!